This is where we look at the story as a whole and make suggestions for improvement. We also look at continuity and timelines.
- Make suggestions to cut parts that weaken the story, are inconsistent, or simply don’t work.
- Make suggestions to improve and strengthen various plotlines and ‘action’ scenes.
- Check for continuity throughout – for example if a character is described in chapter 2 as having green eyes, the same person cannot show up in chapter 8 with blue eyes.
- Ensure timelines are consistent.
- Point out areas where the author needs to ‘show not tell’.
- Ensure dialogue is realistic and relatable.
- Look at character development and suggest ways to make the characters more three-dimensional.
We would expect to carry out two or three rounds of editing before completion and sign-off.
This is the part of the editing process which, in our opinion, makes the difference between a good story and a great one!
Pricing: This service is charged at one GB pence per word.
Leave a comment